Values & Principles
Transition Guideposts for Success
Partners in Transition has utilized the National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth transition Guideposts for Success as the foundation for the statewide strategic plan. The guideposts are based on what research tells us that all youth need to transition to adulthood successfully.
Transition from youth to adulthood is an awkward period in life. It presents challenges for almost every young person today. Youth with disabilities often need extra supports throughout their transition period in order to achieve their desired post school outcomes.
An extensive literature review of research, demonstration projects and effective practices covering a wide range of programs and services -- including lessons from youth development, quality education, and workforce development programs -- has identified core commonalities across the disciplines, programs and institutional settings which are the foundation for the guideposts.
The review also points out that no one institution or organization can provide the full range of services; thus, highlighting the interdependence of agencies that requires communities, states, the federal government and multiple organizations at all levels to collaborate with one another in order to help assure quality transitions for all youth.
The Guideposts provide: a statement of principles, a direction that will lead to better outcomes for all young people, and a way to organize policy and practice.
The Guideposts for Success categories are:
- School-based preparatory experiences such as good academic and vocational programs;
- Career preparation and work-based learning experiences such as career assessments, exposure to life-long learning opportunities, and paid and unpaid internships;
- Youth development and leadership opportunities such as exposure to mentors, role models, and the Youth Leadership Forum;
- Connecting activities such as transportation, physical and mental health, benefits planning, and futures planning; and
- Family involvement such as access to training and information about transition options and evidence-based transition practices.
CLICK HERE to download the Transition Guideposts for Success.